CONTACT US

guida ufficiale della Provincia di Pavia

Collegio Borromeo

Founded in 1561 by the Cardinal Carlo Borromeo, the Almo Collegio Borromeo is one of the major works of the Counter Reformation period and the oldest collegio di merito, a private university, still operating in Italy. The magnificent façade, rich with architectural details has an imposing portal preceded by a short staircase and dominates the medieval square. At the beginning of the seventeenth century Francesco Maria Richini worked on the eastern side of the building towards the gardens, while two centuries later Giuseppe Pollack refurbished the main façade, demolished the old church of Saint Giovanni in Borgo which stood between the building and the river, replacing it with the southern wing of the university and designing a new garden.

Piazza Collegio Borromeo 9 - Pavia

03823951
segreteria@collegioborromeo.it
www.collegioborromeo.it